eat the salt

RSS
tumblr
twitter


February 2, 2011

Que Sera Sarong...?: Fashion in Indonesia

I wrote this while I was in Bali a few weeks ago. Yikes, no pictures!

---

I wasn't sure how the fashion in Jakarta would be. Before arriving, I looked up several Indonesian fashion blogs for an idea of how younger Indonesians dress and wasn't very impressed with my findings. Looked like some uninteresting outfits made to look stylish with some skinny jeans and mid-height heels, maybe a hat. A bit underdeveloped, a bit behind. After being here, this has turned out to be true; Jakarta certainly isn't brimming with unique personal style. I've noticed few "fashion-conscious" people, and I've actually drawn the most inspiration from those in traditional Indonesian or Balinese clothing. The typical men's look of a sarong with sandals and a cap (not sure what the proper name for it is) is pretty no-fail, and I've seen unexpected color and print pairings (traditional batik + plaid/checkered pieces). I was first inspired upon visiting Alun Alun Indonesia (in Grand Indonesia mall), which offers many interesting Indonesian designers. Indonesia, of course, offers a multitude of hand-painted Batik fabrics (looked like Suno had thrown up in there). Print-centric, colorful clothing isn't my style, however, and though I appreciate the fascinating craft (definitely plan to take a batik lesson next time I'm here), I tried to look past the prints to get down to the bare bones of the designs, and I actually did find some great designs elements that I could really relate to. One designer in particular, Carmanita, used some interesting details. Some of the non-Batik pieces were beautiful, and I loved many of the silhouettes. I would happily wear quite a many of the pieces...if they were offered in olive green or dark gray. The clothing at Alun Alun was reasonably priced for a nicer department store; the items I looked at were around $60-$100.Grand Indonesia didn't have many interesting stores/boutiques but did have many other high-end stores (Chanel, Ferragamo, etc.).

I visited what I consider the equivalent of NYC's 39th street in Jakarta. It was basically the same deal as in NYC; similar/identical selection between all stores, some hidden gems, plus, lots and lots of batik. I was excited after visiting Alun Alun to maybe find some interesting non-Batik fabrics. Employees hovered over my shoulder at each store. The stores had great selections of Batik and silk, but no store had quite what I was looking for, or anything close, even. Everything was very "pretty'...so unless you're like me and prefer weirdly textured, un-pretty fabrics, you might like this place. I left empty-handed, but it was interesting to see the area (whose name I can't remember at the moment!)

Ubud, Bali

I've now been to a ton of stores here in Ubud. Common clothing items include: summery dresses with simple, feminine silhouettes in colorful silk or cotton florals ($25+), paper-bag waist cotton pants (often with a striped fold-over band, $15-20), harem pants (silk - $20-25), colorful scarves/large pieces of Batik to be worn as sarongs. Most tourists are seen wearing these things. What I love about the clothing is the comfort, one-size-fits-all feature (though not advertised this way), and the simplicity. There is a style of pants, I'll try to describe - the side seams are extended outward and completely open. They fold over at the sides and tie at the center front, so it's like there are skirt on both of your legs, in a way. They're so complex and simple at the same time. Terrible description, but needless to say, I got a pair. Also, haggling for a better price was always a success. I saw some interesting pieces at unexpected stores that weren't aiming for any particular aesthetic. Some complex items you would see at Tokyo's LaForet. I did discover a few great boutiques, for example Indigo and Pusaka (on Monkey Forest Road), whose aesthetics I was all-ova, though they were a little more pricey (by Balinese standards). Needless to say, didn't get anything from them (I'm super cheap.) At least I got some cool ideas for free, amirite? I also got Mack and Ami some cool things...

Also, since the summer, I've gotten really interested in this earthy kind of look, and I'm in just the right place for that right now (Bali), as far as [home] accessories go. Woven baskets, wood, hemp, textures-galore. I love the focus on hand-crafted goods here. Wish I had an apartment to decorate with these items.

Another fun fact: Generally speaking, Jakarta and Bali know what's up when it comes to uniforms. Sign me up to work at a restaurant here if that means I get to wear a beautifully cut uniform that fits me perfectly.

After Bali, I've got a few more days in Jakarta and plan to check out Tanah Abang It's supposed to be the best textile market in Jakarta. So we'll see how that goes!

P.S. I did give in and get some Batik harem pants. I'll have to spin them in a non-Indonesian tourist way.

---

(Got very sick at the end of my trip and sadly did not make it to Tanah Abang! Next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment